KDNK Seeks News Director
KDNK’s mission is to provide public access radio that connects community members to one another and the world. Based in Carbondale, Colorado, KDNK reaches thousands of listeners across nine FM signals and online. We have built a reputation for funky vitality with over 100 volunteer DJs. We are a valued source for news, culture, emergency information, weather, road conditions, ski reports, river reports, lost and found pet reports, and community calendar listings.
KDNK seeks an experienced journalist, open to risk-taking and innovation, who will lead editorial decision making and digital content strategy. Are you ready to get to work amplifying local voices and evoking a strong sense of place? As News Director, you will produce daily broadcast news on deadline and lead investigative coverage to make meaningful impact.
KDNK’s News Director reports to the General Manager, sharing station operation duties with the Program Director, Music Director, Development Director, and Underwriting Manager. Adult and youth volunteers, freelance reporters, and paid hosts all count on your leadership. Strong teamwork is essential as all staff members share customer service and event staffing duties.
KDNK values diversity. We collaborate with Rocky Mountain Community Radio coalition, the Andy Zanca Youth Empowerment program, The Sopris Sun, High Country News, Aspen Journalism, Colorado Public Radio, and regularly pursue grant funding for reporting projects.
· Manage 10 minutes of KDNK Local News stories each weekday
· Exercise news judgment, define journalistic priorities, and build trust
· Help lead KDNK’s digital initiatives and audience engagement including social media
· Circulate scripts for hosts of NPR’s Morning Edition and All Things Considered
· Cover local government, health care, housing, and education beats
· Monitor emergencies, weather, transportation, ski slopes, and river flows
· Write headlines, shoot photos, and compose online stories
· Provide editorial guidance to hosts, reporters, producers, interns, and youth news team
· Host network news programming and live events
· Participate in weekly staff meetings and quarterly Community Advisory Board meetings
Necessary Skills and Experience:
· Professional management experience
· Training as a reporter, writer, editor, photographer, or producer
· Familiarity with best practices for digital content and social media
· Demonstrated commitment to accuracy, ethics, and transparency
Salary and Benefits:
$40,000-44,000. Full-time position. Paid time off includes escalating vacation time, personal leave, sick leave, and paid holidays. Eligible for partial health insurance and dental benefits.
Email KDNK General Manager Gavin Dahl [email@example.com] with a letter of interest, resume, three professional references, and links to four examples of your reporting, editing, photography, or audio production work. Carbondale Community Access Radio is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits harassment. All applicants will be considered for employment without discrimination on race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, family responsibility, disability status, protected veteran status, or religion. Open until filled.