KDNK is hiring for a full-time music director. The application window closes November 29 so don't delay! Interviews begin in early December. More information is below.
What KDNK is All About:
KDNK’s mission is to provide public access radio that connects community members to one another and the world. Based in Carbondale, Colorado since 1983, KDNK reaches thousands of listeners across nine FM signals and online. KDNK has a reputation for funky vitality with over 100 volunteer DJs. We are a trusted source for music discovery, news coverage, emergency information, weather, road conditions, ski & river reports, lost & found pet reports, and community calendar listings.
What the Job Looks Like:
KDNK’s Music Director reports to the General Manager, sharing station operation duties with the Program Director, News Director, Development Director, and Underwriting Manager. Adult and youth volunteers, musicians, promoters, and record labels all count on your leadership. Strong teamwork is essential as staff members share member service and event staffing duties.
- Process weekly batch of current releases, including digital submissions.
- Manage physical music library and digital library, including coordination of volunteer projects.
- Program overnight automation playlists, prioritizing new music rotation.
- Field and fill all DJ sub requests, including maintenance of DJ and sub contact lists.
- Track playlists and report weekly airplay charts.
- File quarterly Sound Exchange reports.
- Share passion, knowledge, and new music picks with DJs, online and in newsletters.
- Coordinate processing of donated music, including managing the annual CD & Record Sale.
- Manage communications with music promoters and track artists coming to town.
- Answer phones. Greet station visitors. Conduct station tours.
- Participate in staff meetings, committees, and help facilitate DJ meetings and trainings.
- Coordinate volunteers, including responding to technical questions by DJs.
- Host, produce live remote broadcast coverage and in-studio performances.
- Help lead KDNK’s digital initiatives, newsletters, and audience engagement around music.
- Lead membership drive on-air programming along with other staffers.
- Help book KDNK Presents events and coordinate volunteer outreach.
- Supervise community service volunteers & interns on a case-by-case basis.
- Mentor and encourage new DJs in the radio arts.
What Skills You Have:
- Self-motivated with ability to work independently outside of a highly structured work environment
- Teamwork and commitment to serving the greater good through radio
- Detailed-oriented, with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Previous experience with computers, software, and comfort using new technologies
- A desire to engage with diverse communities and nurture a wide range of personalities
- An appreciation, knowledge, and interest in a wide array of music genres
- Commitment to timely responses across multiple communications systems
- Schedule flexibility including occasional work on nights and weekends
Salary and Benefits:
$41,000. Full-time position. Paid time off includes escalating vacation time, personal leave, sick leave, and paid holidays. Eligible for partial health and dental coverage.
Email KDNK General Manager Gavin Dahl [firstname.lastname@example.org] with a letter of interest, resume, and three professional references. Carbondale Community Access Radio is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits harassment. All applicants will be considered for employment without discrimination based on race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, family responsibility, disability status, protected veteran status, or religion. Accepting applications through Nov. 29, 2019.